(If you missed it, here’s Part one: the Naked Frog)
So this pattern (shakes head)..it lulls you into thinking you are THE. BOMB. as you create the body. But the really hard parts (and by hard I mean really tricky, fiddly, not really a skill as much as a talent) parts are when you get the body done.
Here’s froggy all done (or so I thought…ominous chord) and being dried on a towel after I kind of low-key blocked it to keep the hands from curling. It kind of worked.
But then the REAL hard parts started. First of all? major surgery on the head to insert eyeballs. After it took me four tries to make the darn little eyeballs in the first place. (Fiddly bits are not my forte) So my eyeballs don’t match…but oh well. That’s called character right?
The pattern instructions say “carefully” cut one of your stitches in the head and unravel two (for total of four) stitches on either side. HA! That’s for people who are careful knitters and who don’t split their yarn when knitting. For me it was like “hyperventilate while you cut a stitch and immediately lose the ends while almost crying and fingers crossed the stitches I picked up were actually stitches and the darn thing won’t unravel more!
Notice how scary that looks. And the fuzziness of the little eyeball. Not pretty. Let me also recommend to you paying attention to “wrong side” and “right side” when cutting open a frog’s head to knit an eyelid. Turns out “right side” would be upside down. Learned that the hard way.
So after you knit extra rows for the eyelid, and then knit the edges of the eye lids together, you use regular thread to sew the eyeballs in there. It kind of worked? Tokyo boy said it still looked like road kill, but slightly cuter road kill? For Toad, I’m going to be cleaner with my stitches so I can sew the eyelids together better. (repeat after me. do. not. split. yarn.)
So you end up with a cute little protruding eyeball frog..but no mouth. Apparently that’s later. I thought things would go quickly as I got to the fun part: stuffing the little guy. Little did I know the worst possible part was about to arrive….finding out all the places where your stitches were not tight and leaking stuffing!
I don’t have a funnel (the recommended method of pouring the pattern’s recommended lavendar-scented ground nuts into your frog body) so I used a creamer pitcher. And then a chopstick to push the ground nuts down into the legs…where they immediately started spilling out of the frog’s ankles and crotch and knees.
(interlude of sewing up holes with extra yarn whilst cussing)
The pattern doesn’t tell you to fix the holes in the wrists and ankles made when you narrow the knitting and then widen it again…until this part. Yeah, they need to be sewn. Ground nuts everywhere. So I got wise and used a glass baking dish to contain the ground nut explosion.
Next, came what sounds so very simple in the instructions. It says “unzip the provisional cast on, pick up 11 stitches and then sew the head together”.
Right. That assumes one was smart enough to use yarn A DIFFERENT COLOR than the frog for the provisional cast on so one can discern which is frog and which is disposable cast on. That also assumes you didn’t split yarn when doing the original provisional cast on so one can simply “unzip.” HA. That would not be me. (cue hunched over, squinting hour of despair with more cussing)
I kept pulling and pulling and untangling and unraveling and I was a hot mess. I finally got some semblance of stitches on my needle and whacked out a quick kitchener stitch (but not before spreading yet more tiny grains of stuffing everywhere) On the bright side, now I know what to do for Toad (different color yarn, do. not. split. the. yarn.)
That leaves me with this cute little fellow. Still without a mouth, but that will be next. And clothes.